Thursday, January 12, 2006

Memories

It seemed only like yesterday ....the phone rang and a voice, familiar and always cheerful, greeted me:`auntie choo2, what are you doing for New Year's eve? Do you want me to come over?'But soon the reality sank in; the voice I'd always look forward to hearing was never going to come back. On New Year's eve, I sat alone in the family hall looking at her photographs and I was overcome with emotion; it hit me that Mei Phing was never ever going to come back; a part of me died. I've lost someone who was more than a niece; Mei Phing was like a daughter to me. Ever so kind, considerate and caring, she would always look out for me. Whenever there was a book sale, whenever she was in the neighborhood to get some thing to eat, she would call. She never turned me down when I needed help, always ready with words of encouragement in times of despair and always so selfless to family and friends. Yet, all these words are so inadequate to pay tribute to someone of such unique character; someone who was larger than life and someone who personified the ultimate goodness of mankind. Memories of Mei Phing we shall forever cherish. always your loving auntie choo2.

No comments: